Digitized by the Internet Archive in 2015 https://archive.org/details/historicalcollec28unse CHURCH OF ST. MARY, CHIPPING NORTON, OXFORDSHIRE Where William Averill (1625 - 1691), of Topsfield was baptised. THE HISTORICAL COLLECTIONS OF THE TOPSFIELD HISTORICAL SOCIETY VOLUME XXVIII 1923 TOPSFIELD, MASS. PUBLISHED BY THE SOCIETY 1925 GEORGE FRANCIS DOW Editor THE PERKINS PRESS TOPSFIELD, MASS. CONTENTS CHURCH OF ST. MARY, CHIPPING NORTON, OXFORDSHIRE Frontispiece OFFICERS OF THE SOCIETY, 1922 iv ANNUAL REPORT OF THE SECRETARY FOR THE YEAR ENDING DEC. 31, 1922 V ANNUAL REPORT OF THE TREASURER FOR THE YEAR ENDING DEC. 31, 1922 vi ANNUAL REPORT ON THE BUILDING FUND - - - - vii THE RIVER AGAWAM, AN ESSEX COUNTY WATERWAY BY GEORGE FRANCIS DOW 1 THE ENGLISH ANCESTRY OF WILLIAM AVERILL OF IPSWICH, MASS. BY CLARA A. AVERY - 17 NEWSPAPER ITEMS RELATING TO TOPSFIELD (1875-1876), COPIED BY GEORGE FRANCIS DOW - - - - 24 TOPSFIELD IN THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION BY REV. JAMES H. FITTS 65 ESSEX COUNTY QUARTERLY COURT RECORDS RELATING TO TOPSFIELD (1679-1681), ABSTRACTED BY GEORGE FRANCIS DOW 131 SARAH BARO COLCHER, AN AFRICAN PRINCESS, WHO LIVED IN TOPSFIELD 140 TOPSFIELD VITAL STATISTICS, 1922 141 CHRONOLOGY OF EVENTS, 1922 144 BUILDINGS CONSTRUCTED, 1922 144 OFFICERS OF THE TOPSFIELD HISTORICAL SOCIETY 1922 President Charles Joel Peabody Vice-President Thomas Emerson Proctor Secretary and Treasurer George Francis Dow CURATOR Albert M. Dodge BOARD OF DIRECTORS Charles Joel Peabody, ex-officio Thomas Emerson Proctor, ex-officio George Francis Dow, ex-officio W. Pitman Gould Isaac H. Sawyer Leone R Welch Arthur H. Wellman ANNUAL REPORT OF THE SECRETARY OF THE TOPSFIELD HISTORICAL SOCIETY FOR THE YEAR ENDING DEC. 31, 1922 The membership of the Society on December 31, 1922, was 227. Five new members have been added and two have died, viz : Miss Ellen M. Dole of Salem, from whose estate the society has received an early pine slant-top desk resting on low, turned feet, a desirable specimen, well suited to help furnish the parlor of the Capen Plouse. Miss S. Josephine Towne of Topsfield, was the other member who died. She was a charter member and lived to be over eighty-five years of age. After living in the Capen House since it was restored and acting as its custodian, a period of eight years, Mr. Sheahan removed from town in the fall of this year and gave up the oc- cupancy of the house. In the coming spring it is hoped to find some suitable family to occupy the comfortable quarters on the second floor so long enjoyed by Mr. Sheahan. Another installment of one hundred dollars has been paid in the Capen House note held by Mrs. Newhall. But two meetings of the Society have been held during the year — the annual meeting, at which the President read a paper on "Capt. Thomas Perkins, the Topsfield farmer’s boy who be- came a great merchant,” and a meeting held in September at which Mr. Sheahan read selections from his forthcoming book — ’'Wonder Tales” — all of which were written in the Capen House. The Capen House is in a good state of repair and is visited frequently by those interested in early New England architec- ture, some coming from a considerable distance. Respectfully submitted, George Francis Dow, Secretary (v) ANNUAL REPORT OF THE TREASURER OF THE TOPSFIELD HISTORICAL SOCIETY FOR THE YEAR ENDING DEC. 31, 1922 RECEIPTS Jan. 3, 1922 Balance cash on hand $15 22 Annual dues 68 50 Historical Collections sold 34 00 do. do. bindings 33 50 $151 22 PAYMENTS Historical Collections, Vol. 26, binding do. do. Vol. 26, bal. printing Postals, printing and freight Refreshments, September meeting $69 82 47 41 9 77 1 44 128 44 Balance cash on hand $22 78 Respectfully submitted George Francis Dow Treasurer (Vi) TREASURER’S REPORT ON THE BUILDING FUND OF THE TOPSFIELD HISTORICAL SOCIETY FOR THE YEAR ENDING DEC. 31, 1922 RECEIPTS Jan. 3, 1922 Balance cash on hand Dividends, United Shoe Mach. Co. stock Rent of Capen House (Mr. Sheahan) PAYMENTS On acct. collateral note Interest on do. do. Balance cash on hand STATEMENT On hand 45 sh. United Shoe Mach. Co. stock market value $50 $2,250 00 Less collateral note to Mrs. Ada N. L. Newhall 1,200 00 Value of Fund $1,050 00 Parson Capen House and 11-5 acre land, cost $2,100 00 Restoration and Furnishings 2,461 12 $56 45 90 00 100 00 $246 45 $100 00 75 00 175 00 $71 45 $4,561 12 Respectfully submitted George Francis Dow, Treasurer (vii) THE RIVER AGAWAM, AN ESSEX COUNTY WATERWAY By George Francis Dow Capt. Edward Johnson, the town clerk of Woburn, when com- posing his Wonder Working Providence” in 1646, gives us our earliest description of the river Agawam.* He writes of "A faire and delightful river, whose first rise or spring begins about twenty-five miles farther up the country, issuing forth a very pleasant pond. But soon after it betakes its course through a most hideous swamp of large extent, even for many miles, being a great harbour for bears. After its coming forth this place, it groweth larger by the income of many small rivers, and issues forth in the sea, due east against the Island of Sholes, a great place of fishing for our English nation.” The earliest map that shows a settlement on the banks of the river Agawam may be found in William Wood’s "New England’s Prospect.” It was printed at London in 1634. Forty-three years later Hubbard’s "History of New England” was printed and con- tains a map, rudely cut in wood by some Colonial craftsman. Unlike the common way of showing the cardinal points, the top of the map represents the west, and the bottom represents the east. The two principal rivers in Massachusetts Colony, the Merrimack and the Connecticut, occupy the larger portion of the engraved surface, but near the mouth of the Merrimack river may be seen depicted the river Agawam with the town of Ipswich at its mouth, and just above it is the spire showing the location of the village of Topsfield. That doughty navigator, Capt. John Smith, described his visit to "Angoam,” as he termed it, as follows : "Here are many ris- ing hills, and on their tops and descents are many cornfields and delightful groues. On the east is an Isle, of two or three leagues in length ; the one half, plaine marish grasse, fit for pasture, with many faire high groues of mullberry trees, there is also Okes, Pines, and other woods to make this place an excellent habita- tion, being a good and safe harbor.” It is interesting to note, as within the range of possibilities, that this river Agawam might have received at the hands of the *This account of the Ipswich river was written a number of years ago to be given with lantern-slide illustrations. (i) 2 THE RIVER AGAWAM, AN ESSEX COUNTY WATERWAY intruding Englishman, the name of Plymouth, for Morton in his "Memorial” relates that before the company on the Mayflower had finally concluded to dwell near the Cape, some of them "urged greatly the going to Agawam, or Angawam, a place twenty leagues off to the northward, which they heard to be an excellent harbour for ships, better ground and better fishing.” No doubt a Destiny o’erruled the final decision, yet we of to-day may fancy a more prosperous foundation, with fewer sickened hearts had the final choice been Agawam. The river Agawam — resort for fish of passage — as it was named by the Indians, takes its source from the hillsides of Bur- lington, Mass., a small town twenty-five miles from the sea as the crow flies, but the careless windings of the fickle stream nearly treble the distance. Rising on the northwest side of a ridge of highlands that extends in almost unbroken line from the Merrimac to the Blackstone, the stream endeavors to force its way among the hills to the ocean, which it succeeds in doing at Topsfield, where hills on either side are more than one hundred feet in height, and again, at Wiilowdale, the scene is repeated. The farmers of Burlington have named the small stream Maple Meadow, which, when joined by Lubber Brook a short distance above a bridge, together with two or three other small brooks, becomes the river Agawam. From Burlington the brook flows sluggishly through the meadows of Wilmington, a town named in honor of Lord Wilmington, a member of the Privy Council. It was popularly called "Hop Town” a hundred years ago, be- cause of its extensive fields of hops, and it exhibits a monument marking the site where grew the tree from which the Baldwin apple originated. At Reading, Mill Street, with its suggestions of the old town mill located at this point, crosses the river upon a substantial bridge framed in the foliage of many trees, the lux- uriant undergrowth trailing in the water and concealing the banks of the stream. This point is as far up the river as it is usually possible to paddle the canoe save during the period of highest water in the early spring, for above here bridges are low and the shallow water, or overhanging growth, bars a passage. The small town of North Reading is soon reached, the river hav- ing, for some distance, furnished the boundary line between Reading and North Reading, and then, the boundary between North Reading and Lynnfield, and Middleton, from Peabody and Danvers. The Middleton Paper Mills are near where the towns of North Reading, Lynnfield and Middleton join their boundaries. Here Col. Francis Peabody of Salem erected a paper mill in 1832, superseding a fulling mill of an early date, and supplied to the THE RIVER AGAWAM, AN ESSEX COUNTY WATERWAY 3 trade book and writing paper of the highest quality. Will’s Hill is on the left and was named for the last Indian inhabitant who lived and died upon its summit, and whose squaw survived until the incorporation of the town in 1728. Not far from the river, and seemingly just under the hill, is the quiet village of Middleton, and in the near distance may be seen the Danvers Insane Hospital, on Hathome Hill ; in fact, there are but few places in Essex County where that towering mass of brick cannot be seen. From the deck of its central tower, 342 feet above the level of the sea, a fine panorama of rolling landscape is unfolded. At Howe’s Station, the Boston & Maine Railroad crosses the river, and but a few yards below the highway also bridges the stream, where the ancient Indian trail forded it years ago. In early times this bridge was known to all as "the Indian Bridge.” From the bridge the view looking down the river well illustrates the graceful windings of the course of the stream. As the rail- road station is but a short distance away, this is the point usually chosen by the canoeist from which to begin his inland voyage. After passing under the highway bridge near the Boxford boundary line and threading its way through an alder-swamp, an excellent hunting ground for woodcock and partridge, the river glides into the open where it flows sluggishly between the grassy banks of a hassocky meadow. At one point on the left there is higher ground with an attractive landing place which must have been well known to the Agawam tribe of Indians. This level plain running back to the highway and beyond to the heavy growth of fragrant white pines, has long yielded a rich harvest of Indian implements. The spring plowing seldom fails to bring to the surface a stone axe, a sinker or a miscellaneous assortment of arrow heads. The old-fashioned house near by was built by a grandson of Governor Endecott, who owned the Hebrew appellation Zerubbabel, meaning "Prince of the House of David,” a name not infrequently found on the early records. But this scion of a worthy house and bearer of a scriptural name turned out to be a sad profligate and fell in love with Rebeckah Eames of Boxford, who was twenty-four years his senior. Perhaps she bewitched him, for no longer ago than the previous year, in the Salem witchcraft court, she had owned herself to be an instru- ment of the Devil and accordingly had been sentenced, but es- caped death at the jail delivery in July, 1693. Be that as it may, the elders of the village church at Topsfield, where Endecott’s children had been baptized, consulted long with the elders at Salem and at length pronounced sentence of excommunication against him, — a very unusual proceeding even in those days. 4 THE RIVER AGAWAM, AN ESSEX COUNTY WATERWAY The level country in this vicinity must have been particularly attractive to the Indians before the advent of the European. A fine stone paint pot was found on this Endecott farm but a few years ago, and a large stone mortar, used by the Indians to crush their corn, and which is now in the Peabody Museum at Salem, came from a spot not far up the river on the Middleton side. Fish Brook, which bore this name in the earliest times and which may have attracted the Indians to this location, enters the river not far below, and on a sandy slope near its banks stone chippings from two varieties of rock may yet be picked up by the handful. One afternoon while hunting in this vicinity for cellar holes and other evidences of antiquity, by merest chance I wandered into a gravel pit, which the town had opened not many years before in the side of a hillock that overlooks the brook, and at the high- est point, as the gravel had been dug away, I found, some two or three inches below the upper surface, a layer of blackened earth with bits of charcoal, suggesting beacon fires and Indian occupancy. The next bridge across the river has been known for genera- tions as "Rowley Bridge" and has given its name to the highway leading toward Danvers. Here the sluggish water runs deep and lies in wait for the unskilled swimmer, while near at hand the beguiling shade of the walnut grove, with the returning season, attracts the picnic party. As we drift down the stream, the bridge above for a long distance mutters it complaint as each passing team is driven over its loosely joined planking. When over a mile below you may hear its distant thunder. The country village of Topsfield is on the left and only a short distance away, but so surrounded by hillsides that the white spire and tree-fringed streets cannot be seen from the river bank. The hill lying between was christened "Billingsgate" by the first settlers. Why it should suggest the foul language of a London fish market does not appear, save that its steep sides are unin- viting to the loaded team and to the weary pedestrain. Where a cluster of buildings may be seen on the southern slope near the river, a hundred years ago lived "Devil Henry," whose sur- name was Bradstreet. The countryside of the present day re- members little else than his name and a distant reputation of his evil temper. More than a century ago there was settled over the village church a minister who came from Connecticut. Asahael Huntington was his name ; to be perpetuated by a son who for many years was a prominent member of the Essex County bar. The community soon grew to love and respect the parson from Connecticut, all save "Devil Henry" Bradstreet, THE RIVER AGAWAM, AN ESSEX COUNTY WATERWAY 5 who e'er long sold all his hens, telling his few associates that he would not endure the frequent outcries made by his fowls sug- gesting that Parson Huntington it was who came from "Cut-cut- cut-con-neck-t i-cut-t i-car-cut . ’ ’ Under overhanging trees the Wooden Bridge comes slowly into view. It is the oldest bridge in the town and probably the second bridge to span the river, the first one having been built at Ipswich. About two hundred and fifty years ago, when Tops- field became of sufficient size to be called a town, Walter Roper, a carpenter, came up the river from Ipswich, as the records tell us, and built ’'the great bridge across the river by Goodman Townes." All that now remains of the Goodman’s house is a memory. From the river bank may be seen a lone apple tree standing in the broad field and closely indicating the site of the house where lived William Towne, the father of Rebecca Nurse, Mary Easty and Sarah Cloyce, whose names will be forever linked with the story of the witchcraft delusion at Salem Village. The monument in that family burying ground at Danvers, mark- ing the spot where the body of Rebecca Nurse was brought up- on the shoulders of her stalwart sons that dark night over two centuries ago, is well known, but few know the story of her gentle sister Mary, who was taken at midnight from her home near this bridge at Topsfield, bound in chains and hurried to Salem jail, ten miles away; and how, while in prison and under sentence of death, she addressed a humble petition to Governor Phips that has won for her the title, "the self-forgetfull.’’ She asked not for her own life, but that other innocent blood might not be shed ; and in after years, until the day of his death, on the appointed day for fasting and prayer, one of her judges, Samuel Sewall, would solemly stand in the Old South Church in Boston and publicly acknowledge his error : With a haunting sorrow that never slept, As the circling year brought round the time Of an error that left the sting of crime, When he sat on the bench of the witchcraft courts With the laws of Moses and "Hale’s Reports,” And spake, in the name of both, the word Which gave the witch’s neck to the cord. The Stone Bridge, over which passes the Turnpike road be- tween Newburyport and Boston, is without a doubt in its con- struction and surroundings the most picturesque span of any upon the river from its source to the sea.* There is nothing *In 1922, the Massachusetts State Highway Commission caused this bridge to be encased in cement so that its picturesque character has now been destroyed. 6 THE RIVER AGAWAM, AN ESSEX COUNTY WATERWAY about it to show whether it stands in Old England or New Eng- land, and for years it has borne witness that such a structure can be at once rustic and monumental, an example for other builders. Over this bridge runs the Turnpike, straight as an arrow, from Newburyport to Chelsea Bridge. It was once a famous thoroughfare in this part of the country, and of late, to the motoring fraternity, it has renewed its more youthful pop- ularity. Up hill and down hill it goes, and most of the hills are in Topsfield. Near the crest of the steep ascent on the right yet stands the old toll-house, and half way up the long hill str etch- ing away in the distance formerly stood the old Topsfield Hotel, a famous place for country gatherings, political and otherwise. Here met the Essex Junto, in 1808, to "consider the alarming and ruinous condition of public affairs,” a convention which ex- President John Adams styled "the great Topsfield caucus,” and which was denounced by Henry Clay on the floor of Congress. Just one anecdote connected with the hill near the bridge. Many tales were formerly told of a certain elderly man, who shall be nameless, who owned a propensity for appropriating the property of others. One evening he came down this hill with his ox-cart and, just below the bridge, saw a large wheel tire ly- ing in the road just ahead of him. After looking about to see that he was not observed, he put the tire on his load, carefully covering it over, and when home was reached, hid the tire under the barn. But in the morning when he began to unload his cart he found that the off-wheel was minus its tire. He had stolen his own property. The story soon became current and was re- lated with much gusto by the ancients of the village when gath- ered about the grocery salamander. During the summer months when the water runs low between the grassy banks, the loiterer leaning over the railing can hardly conceive of the large body of icy water that rushes through the arch of stone and flows in wide expanse across the meadows and fields. The watershed of the river is of considerable extent and even in June continued rains will sometimes swell the river’s flood to an extraordinary extent. Seldom does the month of March fail to bring with it a freshet, sometimes causing all the bridges, save the Stone Bridge, to become impassable and covering deep with flowing water the highways running along the lowlands near the river. Years ago the village parson owned a few acres of land lying between the river bank and the long hillside below the Stone Bridge, and when a "root of bitterness” grew up between the pastor and his congregation and he removed to another charge THE RIVER AGAWAM, AN ESSEX COUNTY WATERWAY 7 at Hartland, Vt., the name of the far-away parish was applied to the parson’s meadow. Long years ago the old gentleman went (let us hope) where church contentions are a thing unknown, but the name "Hartlands” still clings to the locality. There are many peculiar names familiarly applied to various localities about Topsfield — Bonney’s Feather Bed, The Colleges, Blind Hole, Hardscrabble, The Point of Ridge, Coleraine, and many others. Firetown is but a short distance away, on the back road to Ipswich, and sometimes one hears of the 'Topsfield Navy Yard,” or the "Boxford Lighthouse.” One of these local- ities is Porker Bridge, which crosses the nameless brook that helps to swell the river’s flood, just below "the Hartlands.” Whence came the name I have been unable to learn, unless per- chance "Porker” bridge, which seems reasonable, for ’twas here that good Parson Capen, who flourished in witchcraft times, had one of his encounters with the Devil, who had appeared in the shape of a monstrous hog, taking his station at night in the very center of the narrow bridge, and those who had occasion to cross it, on horseback or on foot, either turned back in fright as he encountered them, bristling and snarling, or rushed by, if their occasion demanded it, in a state of extraordinary trepidation. At length, Parson Capen, riding up to the bridge one evening, saw the specter in his usual position. Nothing daunted, in vir- tue of his holy office, the good man thus accosted him : "You that were once an angel of light, ain’t you ashamed to appear in the shape of a dirty swine?” This expostulation was too much for the foul fiend, who at once jumped over the railing and was seen no more. The Parson lived in a mansion house, with over- hanging second story, which still faces the old training field, and here he had a famous encounter with his Satanic Majesty. I give you the tale as it has been handed down the generations by veracious worshippers in the white meeting-house on the village green. It was during the dark days of the witchcraft period. Goody Wildes had been hurried away to her death and the neighbors lived in daily dread of the accusing spirit that hovered over them. All went about their accustomed tasks, but guarded well their idle tongues. The sun rose bright and clear that Sabbath day, and when good Parson Capen climbed the narrow stairs leading to his pulpit few benches in the rude meeting-house were un- occupied. The psalm had been lined and the preacher had fin- ished his lengthy prayer. The sermon had reached its twenty- fourthly, and Tithingman Redington was just brushing Good- wife Andrew’s ruddy cheek with the hare’s tail fastened at the 8 THE RIVER AGAWAM, AN ESSEX COUNTY WATERWAY end of his long staff, when suddenly the man of God stopped his exhortation, his lean hand raised in air, his eyes fixedly looking over the heads of his awestruck flock. Only for an instant did he gaze, then quickly making his way among the benches to the narrow door, he hurried by the wall of the fort and along the winding road toward his home nearly half a mile away. The calm of summer was in the air ; but the droning bees and nodding flowers were not for the Parson. Along he hurried, and at a distance followed by twos and threes, his wondering congregation. Alas ! his premonition of evil was all too true. Satan, whose fell power had sore darkened the neighborhood of late, stood over a trembling serving maid, who, even at that moment, was about to obey his behest and sign her soul away into his fiendish keeping. The girl had sinned. She had absent- ed herself from the meeting-house and sat slyly reading a for- bidden book when, to her horror, Satan burst in upon her, with gleeful laughter and smoky breath, to claim her allegiance. But with the coming of the Parson the scene changed. Seizing a large measure of flaxseed, near at hand, he scattered the kernals far and wide over the kitchen floor. "If ye pick them up kernal by kernal e’er I read backwards what the girl hath read, ye may have her and thus only,” said the Parson, who without a pause began his task, while the Devil in turn sprang after the slippery mites. It was a battle royal ; the prize, a human soul. The girl, huddled in a corner, moaned in terror, while outside the windows stood the braver souls of the Parson’s congregation. The Evil One seemed endowed with more than supernatural agility ; but his was a loosing race, for the Parson finished his task with a triumphant shout while yet many seeds lay scattered about the floor. With a sardonic glance at the girl, who now was shaken with sobs, the Devil, in a flash, melted out of sight. How he went none could say with certainty, but a rat hole near where he had lately stood, seemed to furnish the solution, and so, for many generations, it has been preserved with pious reverence, an object of awe and wonderment to all beholders, who have carefully handed down the tale to the present day. As the years slipped by good Parson Capen continued to shield his folk from evil influences, and, having served-his alloted span, died and was laid to rest on the exact spot where for many years he had expounded the Word. A new meeting-house had been built meanwhile, and located on the Common where the white spire yet points upward ; but where the older building had stood, adjoining the stone fort, the townsfolk erected a monument to the memory of the good man, and this epitaph was ordered carved upon the stone : THE RIVER AGAWAM, AN ESSEX COUNTY WATERWAY 9 Dear Mr. Capen, that revered man Who did the faith of Christ maintain, A learned man and godly too, None will deny this who him knew. Below the rapids in the river, a troublesome place for the canoeist during a dry time, is Towne’s Bridge at the end of a low causeway, skirted by over-hanging willows. The old folk call it "the casey” just as did their forefathers years ago. The bridge formerly was a loosely jointed structure that grumbled and shuddered with each passing team, but recently it has been re- placed by a modern cement construction. A few yards below, the iron railroad bridge makes its span and just beyond is a favorite swimming-hole. Now the river bows and bends in many a capricious detour through the meadows which in early springtime are converted into a broad, smooth lake, but later present a profusion of vivid coloring from the multitude and variety of wild flowers. Here, we are in a good fishing neighborhood. Someone has said that the habit of going a-fishing always modifies the character; whether for good or ill I may not say at this time. It certainly encourages a closer acquaintance with old Dame Nature, but not infrequently produces a sad state of indolency. However, if we stop to wet our fishing lines and spend an hour or two cast- ing for pickerel, dinner will possess an unexpected zest. The big fellows lie in wait just at the edge of the lily pads and a live- ly shiner, well hooked, is sure to be seized upon by a pickerel, perch or pout. A summer or two ago I saw a three-and-a-half- pound pickerel that came from a cove near here. The long green stretch of Wenham swamp, with its almost impenetrable tangle of "Devil’s yarn,” begins at the edge of the meadow. The low land occupies a wide extent at this point and easily suggests the application to the locality of the name adopt- ed by the early settlers — New Meadows. From the canoe it seems to be less than a mile to the point on the opposite side of the meadow where the river disappears among the trees. But vain are all estimates. It is a three-mile paddle to the grove of fragrant pines. Vineyard Hill is below at the right, and is skirt- ed by the highway leading to Asbury Grove Camp Ground. Lamson’s Bridge is around the next turn. It was built in 1730 by Jonathan Lamson, who lived in the easterly end of the white farm-house that stands but a short distance from the river bank. Until recently the Lamson family occupied the house, and tilled the acres purchased by their ancestor two hundred and fifty years ago. At the time that the first cart bridge was built, the 10 THE RIVER AGAWAM, AN ESSEX COUNTY WATERWAY land on either side of the river at this point was within the bounds of Ipswich, but after a time the neighbors either fancied the elo- quence of the Topsfield parson or, possibly, the smaller tax levy of the inland town, and after petitions and counter-petitions, the Great and General Court at length granted their plea for an- nexation. Off at the left is Winthrop’s Hill, named for John Winthrop the younger, who, with twelve others, came to the mouth of the Agawam in 1633 and founded the settlement afterward known as Ipswich. Masconomet, the Sagamore of the Agawam tribe, sold the land on either side of the river to Winthrop for £20, and the original indenture, with the redman’s mark, in the form of a letter S, is still preserved and is in the possession of the Essex Institute at Salem. It reads in part as follows : "I Musconominet, Sagamore of Agawam, doe by theise prsents acknowledge to have Received of Mr. John Winthrop the some of Twenty poundes, in ful satisfacon of all the Right, property and Cleame, I have or ought to have, unto all the land lying and being in the Bay of Agawam, alls Ipswich, being soe called now by the English, as well alsuch land as I formerly reserved unto my owne use at Chibocco as alsoe all other lands belonging unto me in those parts, Mr. Dummers farme excepted only. And I herby relinquish all the Right and Interest I have unto all the Havens, Rivers, Creekes, Islands, huntings and fishings, with all the woodes, swamps, timber,” etc. etc. "Witnesse my hand this 28 June 1638 MUSKONOMINET his S marke.” Masconomet sacrificed the hunting grounds of his tribe for a mere pittance and at the last of his life became dependent upon the colonists. He was buried in 1658 on Sagamore Hill in Ham- ilton, which is easily recognized by its solitary tree-top outlined against the sky. His tribe became extinct about 1730, much to the relief of the town treasury, I fancy. John Winthrop lived at Ipswich for a few years and then, having obtained a charter, re- moved to the Connecticut River, where he was Governor of the Colony for eighteen years or until he died. Below the bridge the current moves slowly beneath overhang- ing trees, with here and there a tangle of grapevines inviting a September excursion. The slanting rays of the sun striking up- on the smooth surface makes a perfect mirror of the stream. Indeed, the eye can scarce distinguish where the real ends and the shadow begins, for the trees and bushes grow both up and THE RIVER AGAWAM, AN ESSEX COUNTY WATERWAY 11 down, and the fleecy clouded sky is both high above and far be- low. Every turn in the river opens to view beautiful and ever- changing vistas. The Hamilton Commons are on the right and at the left enters Gravelly Brook, cool and sparkling, fed by many a sandy spring. The dam across the river at Willowdale is soon reached and just above it is the canal leading to the site of the old mill. It is well worth the while to make a journey to the dam at flood time in the spring, and to stand upon the abut- ments and watch the rush of water and the pitch and crash heard above the roar as the great cakes of ice plunge into the turmoil below. In midsummer the scene changes, and the stream runs so low that the entire length of the stone work is exposed to the blistering heat of the sun. Then may be caught below the dam many a fine string of perch and kivers, and at dusk it is a fam- ous place for horn-pout and eels. A generation ago the French Canadian had not discovered this mill and the conditions were similar to those existing in Lowell and Lawrence in the early times. The "super,” as he was called, came from a hill town in York County, Maine, and brought with him a following of the "Down Easter” type, which was supplemented by a few English- men and the natives of the soil. Together they lived and toiled with long hours of labor and few pleasures. A trip to the town of Ipswich, three and one-half miles away, served to break the monotony at infrequent intervals, and the Sunday evening prayer meeting in the district schoolhouse, with Samuel McKenzie’s brass clarionet to lead the singing, was a mild form of dissipation in which the neighborhood very generally indulged. The two hills beside the river are respectively known as Big and Little Turner ; the first, with its single row of willows crown- ing the ridge, and the other, with its solitary tree, defying the easterly storms, a landmark picked up far at sea by the passing sailor. Just below the hill, where not long ago the blueberry bushes grew in rank profusion, a v/ealthy owner has erected a palace. Where jolly berry pickers formerly wandered at will, a miniature lake now mirrors the image of an English baronial hall, and the pine tree that held the nest of the crow now pays tribute to the skill of the landscape gardener. From this point the river flows along between wooded banks and away from the highways and farmhouses. Here and there distant views are obtained of splendid country homes of Boston and New York families. In a short time the current brings us to where the "backside of Hamilton” road crosses the river, on a three-arched bridge of stone at Norwood’s Mills where, so long as the river water retained the chill of winter, fishes’ sounds 12 THE RIVER AGAWAM, AN ESSEX COUNTY WATERWAY were formerly converted into isinglass, used to purify the lager brewed by our German- American fellow-citizens. Below the dam is a rocky gorge with a short carry for the canoeist. Now the forest growth begins at the river’s bank and frequent- ly is quite dense. Here, the rush of water has loosened the earth from about the roots of the trees, exposing a fantastic interlac- ing like some monster carving from the Orient. There, a moss- covered ledge juts boldly into the stream, forming a tiny harbor. Soon the railroad bridge is passed and the winding river leads us to the landing place near the great dam of the hosiery mill and we are in old Ipswich town where nearly all of the houses are old and most of the names of localities romantic. In "Old Ipswich town in the East Countree, Whence on the tide, you can float down Through the long salt grass to the wailing sea, And lie all day on the glassy beach, And learn the lessons the green waves teach, Till at sunset, from surf and seaweed brown, You are pulling back to Ipswich town.” But a step from the landing passes the ancient King’s high- way along which marched in 1775, Benedict Arnold’s army on its way to Quebec through the tangle of Maine forests. In 1789, came General Washington while on his eastern tour. In 1824, General Lafayette rode by and at the Choate Bridge, but a short distance down the winding road, passed under a triumphal arch and was received by the military and populace with great en- thusiasm. No doubt Peter Rugg drove swiftly along this high- way pursued by the inevitable thunderstorm. Here, too, rum- bled the famous coaches of the great Eastern Stage Company, bound for Portland and the District of Maine. The Choate Bridge, with its low Norman arches, is a famous old structure, built in 1764 under the direction of Col. John Choate, who commanded a regiment at Louisburg and was a member of the Provincial Government for thirty-five years. The bridge was built at the expense of the County of Essex and is one of the oldest arch bridges in the country. It stands to-day as firmly as it did that October morning when the supporting timbers were knocked away from below. The stone used in its construction was taken from the stone walls and rocky pastures near at hand and shows no finish at the joints. Of c -18-0 Easty, William 7-10-0 Porter, Daniel 1-16-0 ” Daniel -18-0 Peabody, Sert. John 9-0-0 Fisk, Nathl 7-10-0 Towne, Joseph 3-9-9 ” Theophelus 10-12-0 ” Elijah 3-9-9 Gould, Simon 6-16-4 ” William 7-10-0 ” Nathl 6-16-4 Woodman, Nathl 6-16-4 Names of men that paid money to hire men to serve in the Continental army agreeable to the Determination of the Select- men, Committee of Safty & the Commission Officer May 15, 1777. Averell, Isaac 6--0--0 ” Capt Nathl 2-0-0 ” Jacob 3-0-0 ” ” jr. 4-0-0 ” Jeremiah 6-0-0 Andrews, Joseph 6-0-0 Baker, Capt Thos 10-0-0 Dexter, Dr Rich 10-0-0 Dodge, Lieut Solomon 6-0-0 Dorman, Ephraim 10-0-0 Emerson, Lieut Thos 10-0-0 Foster, Stephen 13-10-0 Gallop, William 1-10-0 Hobbs, Abraham jr 3-0-0 Hood, Nathan 5-0-0 Kneeland 4-0-0 Kimball, Jacob 10-0-0 Low, Nathl 3-0-0 Perkins, John 4-0-0 ” Lieut David 10-0-0 ” Stephen 4-0-0 ” Joseph 10-0-0 Symond, Thomas 5-0-0 Smith, Capt. Sami 10-0-0 Wildes, Amos 5-0-0 Wildes, Thomas 7-0-0 ” Nathan 3-0-0 The mens names that was Drafted to serve in the Continen- tal army and paid their fine, Aug. 22, 1777. TOPSFIELD IN THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION 121 Averell, Isaac 15--0--0 Andrews, Joseph 15--0--0 Baker, Capt. Thomas 15--0--0 Boardman, Capt. John 15--0--0 Cummings, Joseph, jr. 15--0--0 Dodge, Lieut. Solomon 15--0--0 Lamson, John 15--0--0 Perkins, Amos 15-0--0 Perkins, Oliver 15--0--0 Perkins, Robert 15-0--0 Perkins, Samuel 15--0--0 Perkins, Zebulon 15-0-0 Peabody, Jacob 15-0-0 Symonds, Thomas 15-0-0 Wildes, Ephraim 15-0-0 Wildes, Thomas, paid 7-10-0 We have aggreed to Recommend to sd Inhabitants that there be no allowance to those Persons that have served in the War & have since Removed out of this Towne. We have aggred to Recommend to sd Inhabitants that there be the following allowances viz, twelve shillings Pr Month to those that served at Cambridge, Dotchester, & Roxbury viz, for eight months Namely. Andrews, Ammasa 4-16-0 Hood, Amos 4-16-0 Baker, John 3d 4-16-0 Hood, John junr 4-16-0 Balch, Israel 4-16-0 Hood, Richard 4-16-0 Balch, Sam11 junr 4-16-0 Kimball, Benju junr 4-16-0 Broadstreet, Henery 4-16-0 Lamson, John junr 4-16-0 Broadstreet, Simon 4-16-0 Low, Amos 4-16-0 Cummings, Josiah 4-16-0 Perkins, Ezra 4-16-0 Gould, Sert Benjn 4-16-0 Perkins, John 4th 4-16-0 Gould, Daniel 4-16-0 Perkins, Thomas 3d 4-16-0 Hobbs, Benjn 4-16-0 Towne, Joshua junr 4-16-0 Hobbs, Isaac 4-16-0 Towne, Stephen 4-16-0 The Commttee aggreed to allow those that went to Capan, Six Shillings each, Namely. Cree, Joseph 0-6-0 Knight, Ebenezer 0-6-0 Gallop, William 0-6-0 Perkins, Elijah 0-6-0 Hammond, Nath11 0-6-0 Rea, William 0-6-0 Herrick, Sert Nehemiah 0-6-0 Towne, Archelus 0-6-0 Hodskins, Hezekiah 0-6-0 Towne, Daniel 0-6-0 For those that served at Roxbury six weeks. Averell, Nath11 jun1' 0-18-0 Kneeland, Aaron 0-18-0 Broadstreet, Sert Samuel 0-18-0 Knight, John 0-18-0 Cree, Joseph 0-18-0 Lake, Eliezer junr 0-18-0 Hammond, Nath11 0-18-0 Perkins, Elisha 0-18-0 Herrick, Sert Nehemiah 0-18-0 Perkins, Elijah 0-18-0 Herrick, Nath11 0-18-0 Towne, Ephraim junr 0-18-0 Plodgskins, Hezekiah 0-18-0 Towne, Joseph junr 0-18-0 Towne, Jacob jun1 0-18-0 122 TOPSFIELD IN THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION To those at Cambridge 2 months. Cummings, Daniel 1--4--0 Wildes, Moses 1--4--0 Agreed to allow for the Northern Departments two Pound Pr month. Gould, Daniel junr 10--0--0 Agreed to allow two Pound Pr month to those that went to New York two months, Sept. 1776, namely. Averell, Amos 4--0--0 Lamson, Josiah 4-0-0 Cree, John 4-0-0 Perkins, Zebulon 4-0-0 Easty, Daniel 4-0-0 Rea, John jun1' 4-0-0 Gould, David 4-0-0 Towne, Daniel 4-0-0 Hood, Benjn 4-0-0 Towne, Ephraim junr 4-0-0 For men that served at Dotchester four months. Balch, Robert 2-8-0 Herrick, Sert Nehemiah 2-8-0 Dodge. Daniel 2-8-0 Perkins, David junr 2-8-0 To those at Cambridge 1776 Baker, John 3d 1-16-0 Hood, Richard 1-16-0 Gould, Sert Daniel 7 mo 4-4-0 Knight, John (Enos?) 1-10-0 Gould, Samuel 8 mo 4-16-0 Perkins, Thomas 3d 1-16-0 Hobbs, Ser Benjn 1-16-0 Perkins, Thomas 4th 4-4-0 Hood, Amos 1-16-0 Perkins, John 4th 1-16-0 Towne, Archelus 1-10-0 For those that served at New York live months & nine months, two Pound Pr month Baker, John 3d 9 mo 18-0-0 Knight, John (Enos?) 5 mo Gould, Samuel 5 mo 10-0-0 10-0-0 Hobbs, Sert Benjn 9 mo 18-0-0 Perkins, Thomas 3d 9 mo 18-0-0 Hood, Amos 9 mo 18-0-0 Perkins, Thomas 4tb 5 mo 10-0-0 Hood, Richard 9 mo 18-0-0 Perkins, John 4th 9 mo 18-0-0 Gould, Sert Daniel 5 mo 10-0-0 Towne, Archelus 5 mo 10-0-0 December 1776 for men that served at New York 3 months Averell, Daniel 3-12-0 Perkins, Thomas junr 3-12-0 Hood, Sert Joseph 3-12-0 Smith, Sert Sam11 3-12-0 Money Paid, not made use of, for hiring men in the war Old Tenor 12-11-6. Joseph Gould Per Order, Committee, Erors Excepted TOPSFIELD IN THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION 123 Aug. 13, 1777. The names of the men that was Drafted to re- inforce the american army at the northward for tree months, viz Foster, Stephen jr Hogkins, Hezekiah Hubbard, Elnathan Hovey, Ivory Hobbs, David Lefavor, John jur Perkins, Archelus Wildes, Dudley November 3d 1777, The Mens names that was Drafted to guard the army under General Burgoyn who surrendered to General Gates, they wrent to Charleston viz. Averell, Amos Averell, Jacob junr Baker, Moses Batchelder, John Cree, Stephen Hobbs, Abraham junr Hood, Benja Kneeland, Aaron Lamson, John junr Perkins, Lieut David Perkins, Stephen junr Towne, Daniel Tyler, Nath11 Capt John Bordman, Messers John Perkins junr and Peletiah Cummings, hired John Cummings to Serve in the Contineal army During the war. Messrs John Lamson Joseph Cummings & Thomas Cummings hired John Perkins 4th to serve in the Army for three years. Mr. Israel Clark, hired David Clark to serve in the army for three years. Topsfield February ye 2 ad 1776, then I Samuel giles have Receved of Zacheus ghould of Topsfield three dolers for which I promise to Proceed in the Publick Service in the Continental army for the said Zacheus ghould which sum I have Receved as witness my hand Samuel giles. Topsfield May 19 1776. Then Received of David Balch twou Pound eight Shillings Lawful money for Enlisting Into the Con- tental army for Duen for him a turn in the army till the Last Day of December Next to a turn for him By me John Knight Topsfield May 16, 1777. Then Redd of Nehemiah Herrick twenty five Dolers for to Done a Half a turn in the Contantal armey till jenary Next 1778. Reed By me Cornelas Cree Topsfield April 25th 1777, then Reed of Nehemiah Herrick twelve Shilings & four Pene, Lawful which is Dou to me for my travlans money to Rod island, By me Archelaus Towne 124 TOPSFIELD IN THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION Topsfield May 19th 1777. Reed of Elisha Wildes ten pounds as a fine for not Serving as a Soldier in the Contenantal army when Drafted Per Stephen Perkins For the Selectmen of Topsfield. These Certify that the Num- ber of men that marched of the 16th Day of December 1776 for a Reinforcement of the Contineltal army under the Command of Capt John Dodge in Coll Timothy Pickriens Regt Consisted of Fifty five men, Whose Baggage was Carryed by Mr Francie Porter from Danverce to Danbury. Attest Topsfield May 5, 1777. Sami Smith junr. Topsfield May 15 1782. Recvd of Isaac Averell Constable the sum of twelve pound Sixteen shillings in full for six munch Ser- vices in the Contantal army for Cornelius Cree serves, I sa Reed by me John Cree Topsfield May 20 1782. Reed of Mr Danl Estay the sum of seventeen shillings & Eleven Pence in full for this Propotion of all Cash & Charges Risen or arising in Procuring William Perk- ins to serve as a Soldier in the Contenental Army for time or space of three years Agraeble to a Resolve of the General Court of the first Day of March 1782, for the No 1. Topsfield Septr 12 day 1782 Recvd of Isaac Averell Constable the sum of twelve pound sixteen shillings in full for six month serves in the Contentail army in the year 1780, for his sun David Perkins, I say Reved by me Moses Perkins 12-16 Mar 7, 1780, voted to allow for three men 6 mo. Cree, Joseph, Gage, Robert, McKenzie, Philip, to R I, 450£ and for five men to Springfield, Andrews, Lilburn, Gould, Samuel, Middleton, Richd Perkins, Wm & Wilson George, nine months 750£ & to al- low the som 644.-00 for seven men in 1779 viz, Cree, Asa, Cum- mings, Daniel, Hood, Daniel, Hood, John junr, Peabody, John junr, Perkins, Moses 3d, Smith, Sam1 junr. Topsfield June 10 1778. State of Mass Bay Dr for Bounty & milage to Fish Kill on Hudson River, 240 miles. Cree, John 30-0-0, age 40, Stature 5 - 8 Complexion Dark Fisher, Daniel, 30-0-0, Rejected Hood, Daniel, ” age 36, Stature 5-11 ” Light Hood, John jr ” ” 19, ”5-8 McKenzie, Philip, ” ” 22, ” 5-5 ” Dark Perkins, William ” ”22, ” 5-3 ” Dark TOPSFIELD IN THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION 125 Topsfield July 31 1778. We the subscribers Certifie the we have Receved of the Selectmen of Topsfield the sum of fourteen Pound Each man of us it being a bounty Paid by the Selectmen of said Town agreeable to an act of the General Cort Dated June the 12 1778. Cummings, Asa 14--0--0 Cummings, Elijah Cummings, Daniel 14--0--0 Hood, Samuel Topsfield Oct 29 1779 State of Mass Bay Dr Bounty & milage to Clavernack on Hudson River 231 miles. Cummings, Daniel Cree, John Hood, Daniel Hood, John jr Hood, Joseph Peabody, John Perkins, Moses 3d Smith, Sam1 junr 30-0-0 23-0-0 30-0-0 23-0-0 30-0-0 23-0-0 30-0-0 23-0-0 30-0-0 23-0-0 30-0-0 23-0-0 30-0-0 13-0-0 30-0-0 23-0-0 The State of Mass Bay Dr to the Selectmen of the Town of Topsfield for travel money Paid to the following Persons that served as militia three month agreeable of the Great and Gener- al Court Passed the 22d of June 1780 ordering six shillings Per mile to be Paid Each Solder from his home to Claverac 220 miles. Andrews, Lilburn 66-0-0 Gould, Emerson 66-0-0 Balch, Samuel 66-0-0 Hood, John jr 66-0-0 Cree, Stephen 66-0-0 Hood, Moses 66-0-0 Cummings, Elijah 66-0-0 Lefavor, Joseph 66-0-0 Gallop, Enos 66-0-0 Perkins, David 66-0-0 Gould, Benjamin 66-0-0 Thomas, Moses 66-0-0 Towne, Stephen 66-0-0 The following Persons Returned as Continantal Six months men agreeable to Resolve of the Great General Court of this State ordering six shilling Per mile to Be Paid Each Soeldr from his home to Springfield Cree, Cornelius 36-0-0 Gould, Samuel 36-0-0 Cree, Joseph 36-0-0 Perkins, David 36-0-0 McKenzie, Philip 36-0-0 The following men are Misted to serve for the Town of Tops- field in the State of Mass Bay in the Contineltal army for the term of three years or During the war 1777. Stephen Perkins Capt. Nehemiah Herrick Capt. Essex ss Feby 18 1778. Sworn before John Baker Jus Peace 126 TOPSFIELD IN THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION Town Captain Colonel Time Topsfield Fairfield, Wigglesworth During war Whipple, I. Putnam ” White, Hogskins, Biglo ” Thomas, Marshel Buxton Lane, Alden Sheldon David Clark John Cummings Joseph Peabody John Perkins Foster Emerson John Egley John Wilson Nathan Woodman jr. ” ” James Reed Boston Craft, Thos Dupe Otes Robins St. Georges Buxton, Sherbum Enoch Baley Trancient Lt. Brown, Lee Thomas Mitchell Boston Horton, Crain Wm Thompson ” Frothingham, Crain Willm Rea Topsfield Page, Francis? Sam11 Giles George Nelson Nath11 Herrick Amasa Andrews Seth Peabody John Tuttle Moses Thomas Sam11 Fall Peporalborough Lane, Joss Page Trancient person ” Dan1 Merrill Scarborough Fairfield, Wigglesworth Moses Perkins 3d Topsfield Whipple, Putnam Cornelous Cree, Israel Mansfield Esq Marblehead Suard Brimblicom Clem Mulden Thos Moor John Car rage Nath11 Goldsmith Jno Canada 3 y Fairfield, Wigglesworth During War Whipple, Putnam Marsh, Marshel Alden 3 y 8 mo Stephen Perkins') cPiPCtmen Thomas Mower en John Peabody ( Tonsfield Israel Clark jun J iopstieid Sworn Jan 29 1776, Sami Smith Town Clerk REVOLUTIONARY DOCUMENTS State of the Massachusetts Bay. To the Honb the Councel and House of Representives in General Court assembled at Boston, 1777. The Petition of Amos Dwinel Plumbley Sheweth that your Humble Petitioner was an Inlisted Soulder in the year 1776 in Cap1 Bolsters Company in Col. Eber Larnard Reg1 and in the In- campment at New York and at a Battle at New Chester your Petitioner left a two cotton Shirts & a pair of Stockens to the value of one pound ten Shillings, further more your Petitioner would Humbley Shew that after he was Dismest was taken Sick upon his return home and Got as far as Oxford in Worcester County and could Travel no further Whereupon he sent to his Uncal David Dwinel of Sutton to Bring him to his House where (viz) at sd Davids he lay sick about Eight weeks afterwards your Petitioner being but in part Recovered his Health Hired a Horse and man to Carey him home to Meddleton in this State where your Petitioner was under the Docters hands and unable for Labour about three weeks, the whole of your Petitioner Ex- pence in his Sickness with the value of Cloath lose. Is fifteen pound fifteen Shillings as may appear by the ac- count and Recept herewith exhibited Your Humble Petitioner Humly Prays your Hons would take this Petition under your wise consideration and order the Treasur of this State to pay out of the Publick Treasurer to your Petitioner or his order the above Said Sum of fifteen pound fifteen Shilling and as Bound in Duty Shall ever pray Amos Dwinel Reed of Amos Dwinel for bordeng G. Dwinels one month when he was sick at Middleton for The month of March 1777 and for the paing The Docter Bill and totel Three Weaiks Bord. Reed By me Jonathan Knight Rec’d of Amos Dwinel for feching said Dwinel from Oxford and to Borden and Nuseng eight weaiks and fetcheng £ s The Docter 8: 11 to one man and horse to Middletown 2 : 8 Reed By Mr David Dwinel totel 10 : 19 The above said Amos Dwinel Lost one Pair of Shirts in the Retreet from New York Sittey £ s the 17 day of September 1776 1 : 10 Sum totel 15 : 15 (127) 128 TOPSFIELD IN THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION Worcester, ss. January 29 : 1778. The above named David Dwinel personally appeared and made Oath that the above articles exhibited as for his just and True account Sworn Before me Charles Brigham, Jus. Peas. Amos Dwinel Mr. Coffin Mr. Learned Mr. Stone Oct0 7th 1783 withdraw : Mass. Archives , Vol. 183, p. 278 The accompt of Archalus Dwinel In Capt. Isaac Bolsters Com- pany in Col° Larnards Regement. In the Contnantal Service in year 1776 £ s d To one great Coat Lost at Bast Chester In the Retreat 6 0 0 one Shirt 6/ 0 6 0 one pair of Stockings 6/ 0 6 0 one havrsack 8/ 0 8 0 £7-0-0 £7-0-0 Isaac Bolster, Cap1 Worcester, ss. January 28 : 1778. The above named Archalus Dwinel appeared and made Solemn Oath these articles he Lost. Sworn Before me Charles Brigham Jus. P. Mass. Archives , Vol. 183, p. 278. Petition of Stephen Perkins & Solomen Dodge Coll Johnson Coll Walker Cap1 Gardner to consider of matter ate large. To the Honourable Council of the State of Massachusetts Bay and House of Representatives in General Court assembled March the 3d 1778 The Petition of Stephen Perkins and Solomon Dodge Hum- bly Sheweth — That they was appointed to the Command as Captain and first Lieutenant of the 4th Company in the third Regiment of Millitia in the County of Essex in the year 1776 Sence which we have endeavored to obey to the uttmost of our power Every resolution of the general Court for raising men for the defence of this and the united States of America, But so it was, that when the resolve passed for raiseing one seventh part of the men in each town to compleat an army for three years or TOPSFIELD IN THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION 129 dureing the war we was not able to Inlist our Cota of men in our Company for that Service. W e then made Sundry Drafts of men, but they all paid their fines, which amounted to such a sum, that your Petitioners apprehended they had money Enough to hire the men they then wanted, of their number, we procured all but three as we suppose, But your Petitioners being advanced in years and in a poor State of health, and being often Called upon to march with part of our Company to places of greate distance which we ware not able to preforme we thought it our duty to ask the Honble Council to grant us a dismission from that Service, which we did, which the Honble Council grant- ed in the month of January Last, Sence which a Resolve passed the general Court that all otficiers that had not Compleated their Cota of the Continental army by the first day of March Instant Should be presented for their fines agreeable to a Resolu- tion of the general Court in the month of August Last. But by reason of the Inhanced prize that men now ask, their is not money enough raised in the Company to procure the men that are wanted for our Cota, and as your Petitioners have now no authority to make any more Drafts in said Company either for men or mony, and as we apprehend their is no other person or set of men that Can be subjected to pay a fine on that account, or that have power to make any further drafts for them men in said Company, the Second Lieutenant being in the Service from home, your Petitioners Therefore Plumbly prays that your Honor will take their Circumstances into your wise consider- ation and point out Som way Either by Impowering the Select- men and Comtee of Safty &c to procure said men that are now wanted in sd Company or otherwise as in your wisdom shall judge proper to direct, so that your Petitioners may not be sub- jected to pay a fine when it is not in their power to prevent it. And your Petitioners as in duty bound shall ever pray. Dated Topsfield Stephen Perkins March 2d 1778 Solomon Dodge State of Massachusetts Bay In Council March 5th, 1778 In the Petition of Capt. Stephen Perkins and Lieu1 Solomon Dodge Resolved that the Prayer of said Petition be Granted, and that the Selectmen and Committee of Correspondence &c of the Town of Topsfield for the time being, be and they hereby are impowered and directed to proceed immediately to the corn- pleating the number of men yet wanted for the Continental 130 TOPSFIELD IN THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION Army in the fourth Company of Militia in the third regiment in the County of Essex, by drafting or otherwise as the resolutions of the General Court direct ; and the said Cap1 Perkins and Lieu1 Dodge be and they hereby are directed immediately to pay into the hands of the said Selectmen & Committee all such sums of money as they may have received of said Company, or any in- dividual of said Company & yet remaining in their hands for the purposses above mentioned, while they had the Command of said Company. Sent down for Concurrence Jno Avery Dy Secy Mass . Archives > Vol. 184, p. 15-16 ESSEX COUNTY QUARTERLY COURT RECORDS RELATING TO TOPSFIELD ABSTRACTED BY GEORGE FRANCIS DOW (< Continued from Volume XXVII, page 96) In the case of Capt. Richard More of Salem v. William Dodg, jr., Mr Jeremy Hubbard of Topsfield deposed that he heard di- vers times Thom. Tuck say that he and Thomas Picton took the bell. This was when deponent was minister at Bass river, now Beverly. Sworn in court-— Nov. 25, 1679* John Reddington served on the grand jury at Ipswich Court held Mar. 30, 1680. Thomas Perkins v. Daniell Clarke. Verdict for plaintiff, the fence to be set up and maintained by defendant and six bushels of Indian corn damage. Writ : Dea. Thomas Perkins v. Daniel Clarke ; for not setting up and maintaining a sufficient fence, according to agreement when he bought the land ; dated Mar. 24, 1679-80 ; signed by John Redington, for the court and the town of Topsfield ; and served by William Perkins, constable of Topsfield. Thomas Perkins’ bill of cost, 21i. 9s. 4d. Letter of attorney, dated Mar. 27, 1680, given by Thomas Perkins, sr., of Topsfield to Sergt. Edmond Bridges of Salem. Wit : John Gould, sr., and Sarah Gould. Sworn, Mar. 30, 1680, before Robert Lord, cleric. Thomas Baker testified that Clark and deponent’s brother Golde had a conference about a fence which he was to have set up. Clark said he had given Golde lOli. and Gould said it was but 51i., etc. Sworn in court. Copy of deed, dated Jan. 17, 1664, given by Zacheus Goold and Thomas Baker, both of Topsfeild, for 341i. paid by Bates to Daniell Clarke of Topsfield, 14 a. in Topsfield, bounded "with a brooke towards the south & a high waye towards the east, & the land of Luke Wakelin towards the north & the land of Bar- zila Barker, toward the west : And one pcell of meddow con- tayning by estimation six acres be it more or lesse lying in Tops- *The date at the end of each paragraph or case is the date of the session of the Court. (131) 132 COURT RECORDS RELATING TO TOPSFIELD feild, or the Villadge, bounded with the land of Zacheus Goold towards the south & Thomas Perkins land towards the north, & the meddow of Luke Wakelin towards the east.” Wit : John Goold and Thomas Gidding. Acknowledged, Mar. 28, 1665, be- fore Samuell Symonds. Copy made by Hilliard Veren, recorder. Copy of deed, dated Mar. 8, 1663-4, given by Zacheus (his mark) Gould of Topsfield to Thomas Perkins of Topsheld, land partly in Rowley Village and partly in Topsfield, for lOOii., bounded by Zacheus Gould on the southwest, Daniel Black on the southeast, the water course on the northeast and Topsfield common toward the north, and meadow of Robert Smith, Luke Wakelin and Francis Bates on the west; the other parcel was all that meadow in Rowley Village, on the west end of the Crooked pond, so called, and surrounded by land of Zacheus Gould, also a right of way for said Thomas where it would be most convenient. Wit: John Redington and John Perley. Ac- knowledged, Mar. 30, 1668, before Daniel Denison. Recorded June 24, 1679, in the records of land for Essex at Ipswich, book 4, page 268, by Robert Lord, recorder. John Gould and John How testified that they saw the writing in Danil Clark's hand, and Gould told Clark that if he had the writing from him, he stole it. Sworn in court. John How and Peter Shomway deposed that they measured the fence and found it to be about threescore rods, and appraised the damage in Perkins' corn as six bushels. They judged that the swine came in through the fence now in controversy, there being a pitiful hedge, which is no fence by lav/. The fence to be set up was worth 2s. per rod, as five rail fence cost at that time. Sworn in court. John How deposed that when Ensign John Gould demanded of Daniil Clark his deed, he owned that he had received of Clarke 51i. in consideration of the fence which the latter was to maintain. Sworn in court .—Mar. 30, 1680. Mr. Jeremiah Hobart was fined upon his presentment. William Averall testified that upon Topsfield town meeting day near night after the meeting, several of the neighbors went up to Mr. Huberd's and deponent noticed that he was displeased with the town for not accepting the propositions he had made to them. There was some mention made of the parsonage and Mr. Hubberd said "I would that parsonage ware a fire and scm of them int.” To which deponent '’made soe hould as to Reply : Sir : I hope you doe not spake now Just as you thinke.” Sworn in court. COURT RECORDS RELATING TO TOPSFIELD 133 Isaac Cumins, sr., deposed that Mistress Huherd replied to William Averall, "Noe, he Does not mean see.” Sworn in court. Joseph Towne and Micali Donill deposed that Mr. Huberd said at Towne’s house that the town would never have a quiet town meeting until they had given him half the parsonage. Sworn in court. John Franch and Pheby Franch deposed that being at the dwelling house of Mr. Jeremiah Koubard, and having much dis- course about the synod meeting and church affairs and power, deponent told him that if he had told them that he had been of that mind before he was ordained, he woud never have been ordained in Topsfield. Then Mr. Houbard spoke cursing words "and wished the pox had you and all that were of your mind.” Sworn in court. — Mar. 30, 1680. Upon a petition from Topsfield as to who should appoint a place for keeping the town stock of ammunition, court judged that it was chief officer’s place to do it. — Mar. 30, 1680. Zacheus Perkins, being brought before this court for burglary in breaking up Tho. Maule’s shop and stealing several times from others, and confessing, was ordered to pay 25011. and the goods to Maule ; 2411. to Mr. Batter of Salem, and the remnant of black double prunella seized by the constables; to Michall Donnill, three bushels of wheat, four and a half bushels of bar- ley, and a half bushel of Indian corn ; to Goodman Robison of Topsfield, 15s. in money and the gold ring found with him; to Mr. Joseph Whiting, 30s. in money and the return of the silver cup stolen ; to John Redington, 9s. For his burglary, said Perk- ins was to be branded upon the forehead with the letter B, as the lav/ determines, and for his theft from Mr. Batter, it being above 10s., he was to be openly whipped. For his other thefts he was fined 51i. He was to be whipped and branded on the 6th instant, immediately after lecture. Search warrant, dated Apr. 8, 1680, for goods of Thomas Maul of Salem which were stolen from him, signed by Daniel Denison. Thomas Maule’s bill of cost for searching for the goods. Mr. Batter’s bill of cost, 16s. Letter of attorney, dated Apr. 29, 1680, given by Joseph Whit- ing of Lynn to Mr. John Gould of Topsfeild. Wit: Andrew Mansfeild and Joseph Far. Thomas Mawle and wife Naomy testified 13:2: 1680 that the night before election in 1679 their shop was broken into. They had on hand lOOli. worth of choice goods, which were stolen. Affirmed "in ye presence of him who made all things <& knowes all things : before whom we must give account of all things,” before Wm. Hathorne, assistant. 134 COURT RECORDS RELATING TO TOPSFIELD Hannah Sibbley, aged about seventeen years, and Jonathan Flint, aged about sixteen years, deposed, 13:2: 1680, they then being servants to Thomas Mawle, that they had several hundred pounds’ worth of new goods in a pile and when they went to bed about nine o’clock they left them in the shop. The goods were silks, ribbons, cambriques, hollands, fine serges, etc. Sworn, 25:2: 1680, before Wm. Hathorne, assistant. Invoice of stolen goods : 4 yds. of rich dukape at 12s., 21i. 8s. ; 4 yds. of ditto dukape, at 12s., 21i. 8s. ; 7 yds. ot Cambrick, and 1 M 3-4 pins at 3s., 1 li. 2s. ; 8 yds ditto Cambrick, Hi. 18s. ; 2 1-4 yds. of holan and 2 yds. of galum, 10s. 6d. ; 4 yds. of locaram, 13 yds. galum, 10s. 3d. ; 1 3-4 yds. of locaram, 11 yds. galum, 5s. ; 2 1-2 yds. of kors ditto hollan and 6 knives, 8s. ; Cambrick, lli. 10s. ; 8 yds. fine white foustoun, 10s. ; 17 1-2 yds. mix prenelah and 3 doz. silver bottons, lli. 16s. 6d. ; 13 1-4 yds. Camlet and 3 1-2 gros gimp buttons, lli. 10s. ; 6 1-2 brod shearg salune, 1 ko- man kaces, 18s. 6d. ; 4 yds. of serge, 9 pare of gloves, 15s. ; 5 yds. porstotana and bondle of silk, 12s. ; 2 yds. 1-2 of black prenelah and 1 knif, 5s. ; 2 1-2 of paragon, 5s. ; 1 1-4 of serge, 14s. ; 3 3-4 of Cambrick, 10s. ; 1 coat of mix prenelah, 15s. ; 1 pare of briches lind of black stuf, 5s. ; 1 Remnant of serge, 2s. ; 1 black silke skarf, 5s. ; 1 blu silk skarf 2 yds. long, 2s. ; 1 Remnant of ditto of blu silk, 2 s. ; 3-4 yds. of slace clauf and 1 m. pins, 2s. ; 1 1-4 cambrick and 8 yds. of blu ribb, 6s. ; 57 yds. 1-2 of 4 d. & 6d. red black & gren, blue and white ribbin, 1 li. ; 2 pare of gloves, kardsbottons, Is. 6d. ; 1 yd. prenelah ; 4 yds. Colard linn., 4s. ; 1 Remannt prenelah, buttons, silk and thread, 3s. ; total, 221i. 2s. 9d. Theophilus Wilson and Nath. Rust testified that Perkins con- fessed that he stole several things from his father and Mikel Dunil of Topsfeld, Mr. Batter of Salem, Mr. Whitton of Lin, Mr. Maul, Dority Robason of Topsfield and John Readintcn. Zacheus Perkins’ confession, Apr. 9, 1680, before Daniel Den- ison: that at May election he met in Wenham a Frenchman named Nicolas Jennings whom he knew at Narriganset but had not seen more than once or twice. He invited him to go to Salem to drink. They went to Salem in the evening and alight- ed in the street near Mr. Croad’s, leading their horses into an orchard where Nicholas bade him tarry and look after the horses. After two hours, Nicholas returned and bade him go along with him and they came to Mr. Mall’s shop where the door was open. Nicholas went in and brought out a bundle of goods which he gave Perkins which he took home to Topsfeild. Some he had disposed of. Nicholas brought out also a sack of goo COURT RECORDS RELATING TO TOPSFIELD 135 which he laid on his horse. Soon they parted as they heard the watch coming, Perkins going to Topsfield and Nicholas to Mar- blehead, and Perkins had not seen him since. The latter said he found the silver cup at Lin and the ring at Topsfeild on the street. Thomas Mai was bound to prosecute. Letter of attorney, dated Salem, May 3, 1680, given by Edm. Batter to Mr. Edward Flint or Mr. Walter Fairfield to appear for him, as he could not go to court and did not think it worth his labor. Perkins had stolen from him a piece of double pru- nella, costing him 61i. 10s. at Boston, he having cut off three or four yards ; also 20 yds. of Irish serge at 4s. per yd., about a a yard wide; total, above lOli. in silver. — May 4, 1680. Phillip Knight v. Thomas Cave. Verdict for defendant. Ap- pealed to the next Court of Assistants. Said Knight bound, with Bray Wilkins and Jonathan Knights as sureties. Writ: Phillip Knight v. Thomas Cave; for not joining with him in the division of 100 acres of land which they bought joint- ly of Mr. John Ruck, said land being partly in Topsfield and partly in Salem, according to deed dated July 24, 1672, for which they were to pay 601i. sterling, said Knight having paid his 301i. ; dated June 21, 1680; signed by Hilliard Veren, for the court and town of Salem ; and served by Henry Skerry, marshal of Salem, by attachment of land, and left the summons with his children and wife. Philep Knight’s bill of cost, lli. 13s. 6d. Thomas Raves’ bill of cost, lli. 4s. Jonathan Knight, aged about thirty-eight years, testified that William Nickols, sr., said at Mr. Keysar, sr.’s house in May, that Phillip Knight should have fifty-nine acres of land according to agreement. Ruth Knight testified to the same. Sworn in court. Bray Wilkins, aged about sixty-eight years, and Jonathan Knight, aged about thirty-eight years, testified that they and William Nicolls of Topsfeild were present when Leift. Tho. Put- nam laid out this land after the purchase, fifty-nine acres each, and said Putnam agreed to give them a writing to that effect, with those present as witnesses, but they had never seen any writing. Phillip Knight doubted if he had as much laid out as Putnam told him, and later sent again for deponents while Na- thaniell Putnam and William Ireland, sr., measured it and found it to be but forty-one acres, and at the same time found Cave’s land to be about seventy acres. Sworn in court. John Rucke certified, at Salem, Mar. 20, 1679-80, that he had received pay from Philip Knight for his half of the 100 acres ly- ing near old Nickoalses. Wit: Bray Wilkins and Jonathan Knight. 136 COURT RECORDS RELATING TO TOPSFIELD Thomas Putnam, aged about sixty-four years deposed that he knew nothing about it except the writing which he gave in to Maj. Gen. Denison, which writing was made in the woods that day. Sworn in court. William Ireland, sr., and Nathaniell Putnam certified that they found that Cave had, with what he had sold, eighteen or nine- teen acres of land more than Knight, besides a tract lying along the side of Hathorn’s meadow. Sworn by Ireland at Boston, Mar. 19, 1679-89, before Elisha Hutchinson, commissioner, and by Putnam in court. Copy of agreement, dated 2 mo. 1674, between Thomas (his mark) Cave and Philip Knight, for a farm bought of Mr. John Rucke of Salem, partly in Salem and partly in Topsfeild ; that Knight was to have 48 1-2 acres in the northeast end, bounded by a bound tree of John Putnam's on the northeast, John Robinson’s and William Hobbs’ land on the north, to a bound tree between Thomas Putnam and Willrn. Hobs westerly, then Thomas Put- nam’s land on the west, said Knight’s line running southerly a- bout 80 rods to a heap of stones and a stake, then crosses the farm easterly about 100 rods to John Putnam’s line on the east side to a heap of stones and a stake, then northward about 80 rods to John Putnam’s tree ; Cave was to have the breadth of the farm on the south of Knight’s land, as it lay between land cf Thomas Putnam on the west and John Putnam on the east till said Cave’s land comes to a swamp that lay southward from his house and joins John Putnam’s line where Philip Knight has a- bout eleven acres, "first from John Putnam’s line on the east, on the North side the swamp the sd Knight is to run from the heape of rocks in John Putnam line westerly by the swamp 18 rod to a heap of rocks, 2dly the sd knight is to run from the heape of rocks in John Putnams line on the North side the swamp, cross the swamp southerly as John Putnams line runs 52 rod to a heap of stones Sly from thence westwerd 38 rod to a little white oake marked on foure sides 41y from thence Northerly 44 rod to the southwest corner of the swamp to a heape of stones, & from thence eastward downe the swamp 20 rod to a heap of stones & from thence Northerly cross the swamp about 8 rod more or less to the heape of stones on the North side the swamp next Thomas Caves house ; that is 18 rod from John Putnam line ; further the sd Knights land on the south side the swamp, the v/ay is to lye from the Northeast corner of the sd Caues feild as it is now fenced by the east side of the feild to the Northwest Corner of the sd knights 11 akers of land, the sd knight is to sett up & maintaine a good gate or good barrs where the way comes at COURT RECORDS RELATING TO TOPSFIELD 137 that end next to the sd Knights house. All the rest of the farme is Thomas Caues.” Wit: Thomas Putnam and Willm. (his mark) Nicols. Sworn, June 24, 1680, before Daniel Denison. Deed, dated July 24, 1672, given by John Rucke of Salem, to Phillip Knights and Thomas Cave of Will’s Hill, so called, in Salem, husbandmen, for 601i., 100 acres of land in Topsfeild and Salem, bounded northerly by William Hobbs and John Robbin- son, easterly by John Putnam, southerly by Hathorn’s great meadow and westerly by Leift. Thomas Putnam. Wit : Jonathan Knight and Hilliard Veren. Acknowledged, Mar. 20, 1677-8, be- fore Wm. Hathorne, assistant. — June 29, 1680. Samuel Howlett served on the grand jury at Ipswich Court, Sept. 28, 1680. Daniell Hovey, Jr. served on the jury of trials at Ipswich Court Sept. 28, 1630. John How v. Mr. Richard Collicutt and Mr. Nathaniel Green- wood, executors and overseers of the will of Hester Seers. For refusing to deliver a feather bed. Special verdict. If two single testimonies and the plaintiff’s affirmation of the woman’s prom- ise were as valid as a will, they found for the plaintiff, the best bed and bedding ; if not, for the defendant. Court found for the plaintiff. Appealed to the next Court of Assistants. Sarah Gould, aged about thirty-nine years, deposed, that be- ing at Boston with Goodman How about four years since, she lodged at his kinsman, Hanery Mason’s. She slept with Mason’s wife and Goodman How with Planery Mason, and she heard How ask Mason to give him the feather bed he lay in that night. Mason spoke so low that she could not hear him plainly but she understood that he consented. Three months after they went to Boston again but Mason had been dead six weeks. The wid- ow brought her husband’s will to How to read and she said that her husband had told her to give him the feather bed although it was not in the will which she promised to do. Mason’s wife was John How’s own cousin. Sworn in court. In the will of Hester Seers of Wobourne, dated Mar. 2, 1679- 80, and proved Sept. 2, 1680, she bequeathed to her brother Isaac How’s children £5 ; to her brother Abraham How’s son Abra- ham’s children, 50s. ; to her brother Israel How’s children, 50s. ; etc. Rebecka Howlett v. William Howlett. Verdict for defendant. Thomas Dorman deposed that he heard Ensign Houlat say that he had borrowed money of his wife, who, he said, had sold some of her geese and turkeys for money. Deponent told him that his wife’s geese and turkeys were his wife’s when he 138 COURT RECORDS RELATING TO TOPSFIELD pleased. Houlat replied, "no, I medle not with the geese nor turke’s for thay are hurs for she hath bene and is a good wife to me." Sworn in Court. Isack Comins, Jr. and Samuell Kingsbury deposed that they living with Daken Houlet and having a considerable part of honey, gave the combs to Daken Houlet’s wife for her own use, "that is to say his last wife." Sworn in Court. John Comings was fined upon his presentment. Warrant, dated Sept. 16, 1680, for the appearance of John How and Jacob Towne, as witnesses in John Comings’ presentment, signed Robert Lord, cleric. No return made. Ensign John Gould was bound for the appearance of his Indian when the Court called for him. Zachary Curtice and Elizabeth Bridges, for miscarriages, were fined. Daniell Clark had his license renewed for a year. — Sept. 28, 1680. Jacob Towne served on the jury of trials at Ipswich Court, Mar. 29, 1681. Jacob Towne, aged about fifty years, deposed that about thirty- five or six years ago his father, William Towne, bought twenty acres of land of Jeffery Massey of Salem and paid for it in wheat the same year. Said land bordered upon a swamp at the south, was common belonging to Salem at Ryal Side, and ran fourscore rods to the northward. When his father removed from Salem in 1651, he sold this lot to Nathaniel Felton of Salem. Sworn in Court. John Lampson v. John Sady. Slander of his wife, Martha Lampson. Withdrawn. John Sady and wife Elizabeth confessed that whereas they reported through misinformation or their own misconjectures that Martha Lampson, wife of John Lampson, stole a fan from them, they had wronged her and were sorry for it. Wit : Jno. Lee and John Gould. Tobijah Perkins was sworn constable for Topsfield. "Whereas Mr. Jere. Hubbert of Topsfield hath at severall times, and in severall places, both publickly and privately uttered severall reproachfull and scandalous speeches both agaynst ye elders & messengers of ye church who met ye last summer at Topsfield, and also agaynst ye Inhabitants of Tops- field, all or some, I thought good in ye behalfe of myselfe and fellow elders to make complaynt thereof to this Honored Court, that they would please to take it into consideration, yt his vir- ulent speeches might be restrayned for ye future, and such as COURT RECORDS RELATING TO TOPSFIELD 139 have been so unjustly wronged by him, might receive satisfac- tion, as your selves shall judge meet. Your servant "March 31, 1681 William Hubbard” A complaint having been put to this Court by Mr Wm Hub- bard on behalf of himself and others agt Mr. Jeremiah Hubbert of Topsfield for reproachfull & scandalous words pernitiously vented & published in many places & yt publiquely agt ye late Councill of Elders & Messengers at Topsfeild, and ye people of Topsfeild, some or all of them : This Court doth order the Clerke of this Court to send out forthwith a Summons to ye Marshall of Ipswich to warne Mr Jeremiah Hubbert to appeare at ye next Court at Salem to answer ye complaynt, unlesse that ye said Jeremiah Hubbert shall above a fortnight before sd Court ap- pear before ye Hond Major Genii. Denison & give such satis- faction as he shall judge meet, the sd Mr William Hubberd, & neighbouring ministers offended haveing convenient notice giv- en them of ye time of his appearance before ye sd Majr Generali. And the Clarke is ordered to make return of this act to sd Salem Court & ye marshall of ye warrant also by wch he shall sum- mon Mr Jeremiah Hubbert unless yt ye Maj. Genii, shall have before ye time limited issued yt matter.” — Mar. 29, 1681. Sergt. Jacob Perkins and Isaac Estye served on the grand jury at Ipswich Court, Sept. 27, 1681. John How served on the jury of trials at Ipswich Court, Sept. 27, 1681. Ensign John Gould, in behalf of his wife Sarah Gould v. Thomas Maull. Debt. Special verdict, if voluntary promise of defendant for a supposed courtesy done be binding in law, they found for plaintiff; otherwise for defendant. The question of law resolved in the negative. Writ, dated 22: 7: 1681, signed by John Redington, for the Court and town of Topsfield, and served by John Williams, deputy to Henry Skerrie, marshall of Salem, by attachment of a bed, table, carpet and trunk of defendant’s. Thomas Maule’s bill of cost, 14s. ( To be continued) SARAH BARO COLCHER, AN AFRICAN PRINCESS, WHO LIVED IN TOPSFIELD. Buried in the family lot of Mr. Albert Austin Conant, in Pine Grove Cemetery, lies the body of an African princess. It was a strange mis-adventure that brought this girl from far away Af- rica to Topsfield where she lived for a number of years in the home of Major Nathaniel Conant, in the house now owned by Philip Palmer at the corner of Main and Haverhill streets. It happened that Mrs. Conant’s brother, Captain Austin Dodge, of Beverly, Mass., was owner of the bark Magdala, and made voy- ages to Africa. In 1844, while on one of these voyages, he was travelling inland near Sierra Leone, and came across a tribal war being fought there. In order to escape its cruelties many of the women and children were fleeing toward the coast, when some, from fatigue, dropped behind and became separated from the others. A slave dealer, Don de Mer, just then came driving his slaves under the lash and, with a short raw-hide whip, forced some of these laggards to come along with his slaves. He was a passen- ger on Captain Dodge’s return trip and brought on board with him three of the last acquired negroes. The sailors made cloth- ing for them, as they were quite nude, but one of these, a child about eight years of age had a certain string of beads about her waist which was thought to mark her as an African princess. Don de Mer died on the passage and two of the negroes were sent to a southern port, while the princess, who gave her name as Sarah Baro Colcher, was given to Captain Dodge who brought her home to his sister, Mrs. Elizabeth Dodge Conant, in Topsfield, who brought her up and gave her an excellent education. She proved trustworthy and grateful and developed into a fine woman. When she became of age she went into domestic service and was for many years cook in the home of Mrs. Gordon Dexter of Boston and Beverly Farms. While she was living there she was taken ill and Mrs. Kilham of Beverly, the niece of Captain Kil- ham, had her brought to her home and cared for until she re- covered. It was for a time the care of Miss Henrietta Kilham, now of Beverly and then a child, to read aloud to her every afternoon, and she remembers being told that in spite of all the intervening years she (Sarah) was never able to forget the lash. She was a very black negress but fine looking. She wras born in the interior of Africa, some distance from the west coast at Sierra Leone, about 1836 and died in Boston at the home of a colored friend in 1882. Her body now lies in the family lot in Pine Grove Cemetery, Topsfield. SARAH BARO COLCHER (1836-1882) An African Princess brought to Topsfield where she was educated. VITAL STATISTICS OF TOPSFIELD, MASS. 1922. Jan. 3. Jan. 5. Jan. 29. Feb. 4. Mar. 2. Apr. 15. Apr. 28. May 3. May 4. May 12. June 5. July 17. Aug. 13. Aug. 21. Sept. 7. Sept. 27. Oct. 23. Oct. 7. Nov. 16. Dec. 23. FOR THE YEAR 1922. BIRTHS. Richard Kennedy, son of Homer and Harriet Susan Kennedy. Shirley Rita Stevens, dau. of Thomas R. and Thelma A. (Welch) Stevens. Born in Salem Hospital. Roy Melvin Feener, son of Frank Roy and Eva May (Ingraham) Feener. Alfred Puopolo, son of Angelo and Carmela (Caporal) Puopolo. Veronica Anne Larkin, dau. of John Joseph and Anna Elizabeth (Kiv- lan) Larkin. Wilmot, son of George and Anna (Johnson) Wilmot. Born in Salem Hospital. Michael John DeCotis, son of Giovanni and Carmela (Leone) DeCotis. Gloria Janice MacGregor, dau. of James Franklin and Annie Tresa (McGoff) MacGregor. Pasquale d’Amore D’Agostino, son of Pasquale and Giovannina (D’Amore) D’Agostino, Ernest A. Pace, son of Ernest L. and Corinne B. (Rich) Pace. John Haggart, son of James and Mary (Boyle) Haggart. Born in Bev- erly Hospital. Kathleen Margret Murphy, dau. of John F. and Julia (Lyons) Murphy. Born in Beverly Hospital. Virginia Gertrude Rea, dau. of Julian Stuart and Mary (Porter) Rea. Born in Salem Hospital. Maurice Fredrick Roberts, son of Bertram M. and Annetta L. (Lind- reth) Roberts. Elizabeth Hope Stanwood, dau. of George Alfred and Bertha E. (Titus) Stanwood. Born in Salem Hospital. Donald Franklin Kneeland, son of Clarence Henry and Maude (Gup- till) Kneeland. Born in Salem Hospital. John Willard Dwinell, Jr., son of John Willard and Susan Marion (Kelley) Dwinell. Born in Salem Hospital. Charles Gangi, son of Salvatore and Providentia (Rizza) Gangi. Iolanda Marciano, dau. of Carmino and Theresa (Copola) Marciano. Francis Merrill, son of Severence Grant and Lillian Lorenthia (Cur- tis) Merrill. (141) 142 VITAL STATISTICS FOR 1922 1922. Mar. 8. June 26. Aug. 16. Oct. 18. 1922. Jan. 13. Jan. 19. Feb. 15. Mar. 1. Mar. 9. Mar. 25. Mar. 31. MARRIAGES. William Cleon Barnett (Danvers), son of William Fremont and Mary Elizabeth (Howard) Barnett. Claudine Smerage (Topsfield) , dau. of Melvin White and Bessie Evelyn (Welch) Smerage. (Married in Topsfield.) Arlo Lester Roberts (Topsfield), son of Henry Hanson and Catherine Jane (Chisholm) Roberts. Delphine Lanctot (Haverhill) , dau. of Alfred and Thilomene (Paradis) Lanctot. (Married in Haverhill.) Otto D. Mowry (Chicago, 111.), son of Atwell and Mary E. (McFeeley) Mowry. Virginia L. Walker (Boston), dau. of Johnson L, and Mabel J. (Cham- berlain) Walker. (Married in Topsfield.) Arthur Linwood Gould (Topsfield), son of W. Pitman and Martha E. (Nichols) Gould. Florence Alice Baker (Beverly) , dau. of Angus William and Elmira (Kaulbach) Baker. (Married in Beverly.) DEATHS. William A. Butcher, parents unknown. Aged 67 yrs., 5 mos. 1 dy. Annie Jane Wildes, widow of Lewis H. Wildes and dau. of Amos and Eliza (Perkins) Chapman. Aged 75 yrs., 8 mos., 21 dys. Died in Arlington. Job H. Frame, son of Samuel and Hannah (Whidden) Frame. Aged 78 yrs., 8 mos., 8 dys. Ella Maria Pace, wife of Albert W. Pace and dau. of Thomas and Eliz- abeth (Merrill) Perkins. Aged 67 yrs., 4 mos., 1 dy. Died in Salem. Serene Josephine Towne, dau. of Benjamin B. and Esther (Peabody) Towne. Aged 85 yrs., 5 mos., 21 dys. J. Fremont Perkins, son of Josiah P. and Pheobe (Towle) Perkins, Aged 65 yrs., 2 mos., 3 dys. Died in Manchester, Mass. Harriet W. Lefavour, dau. of Jesse and Rachel (Bliss) Whiting. Aged 79 yrs., 4 mos., 30 dys. Wilmot, son of George and Anna (Johnson) Wilmot. Aged 1 day. Died in Salem. Apr. 15. VITAL STATISTICS FOR 1922 143 Apr. 18. Apr. 18. May 4. May 7. May 16. May 21. June 3. June 5. June 12. July 14. July 27. Aug. 4. Sept. 1. Sept. 18. Oct. 25. Nov. 27. Dec. 17. Margaret T. Walsh, wife of William H. Walsh and dau. of William and Ellen (Welch) Cullinane. Aged 52 yrs., 11 mos., 6 dys. Silas E. Deland, son of Benjamin and Elizabeth Deland. Aged 67 yrs., 9 mos., 2 dys. Charlotte A. Gleason, wife of George L. Gleason and dau. of Daniel and Charlotte (Towne) Perkins. Aged 81 yrs., 7 dys. Margaret C. Deering, widow of William Deering and dau. of Edward and Julia K. (MacBeth) Manning. Aged 85 yrs., 5 mos., 11 dys. Ernest A. Pace, son of Ernest L. and Corinne B. (Rich) Pace. Aged 4 dys. Alice M. Anderson, dau. of Hans and Mea S. (Hanson) Anderson. Aged 12 yrs., 7 mos., 9 dys. Edward Perley Balch, son of Humphrey and Hannah (Bradstreet) Balch. Aged 72 yrs., 4 mos., 18 dys. John Haggart, son of James and Mary M. (Boyle) Haggart. Stillborn* Died in Beverly. Mabel W. Bradstreet, wife of Horace D. Bradstreet and dau. of Daniel and Lucy A. (Wilson) Warner. Aged 59 yrs., 4 mos., 9 dys. Margaret Kimball Cummings, widow of Charles Amos Cummings and dau. of Moses and Frances L. A. (Hathaway) Kimball. Aged 80 yrs. 8 mos., 25 dys. James L. Ward, son of James and Mary L. (Chase) Ward. Aged 80 yrs., 5 mos., 22 dys. George L. Gleason, son of Salman and Jerusha (Willard) Gleason. Aged 87 yrs., 5 mos., 7 dys. John Leonard Fiske, son of John and Adeliza (Pike) Fiske. Aged 50 yrs., 11 dys. Lennie G. Lane, wife of Albert S. Lane and dau. of John F. and Louisa A. (Whitaker) Perley. Aged 61 yrs. 1 mo., 1 dy. Herbert W. Gould, son of Andrew and Mary P. (Lake) Gould. Aged 74 yrs., 3 mos., 21 dys. Donald Franklin Kneeland, son of Clarence H. and Maud (Guptill) Kneeland. Aged 2 mos. George A. Frame, son of Samuel and Hannah (Whidden) Frame. Aged 72 yrs., 2 mo., 26 dys. DEATHS IN OTHER PLACES— INTERMENT IN TOPSFIELD 1921. June 20. Caroline P. Beck, New York City, N. Y. Aged 54 yrs., 1 mo. Ashes buried July 18, 1922. Feb. 4. Luther A. Peabody, died in Ipswich, Mass. Aged 66 yrs., 17 dys. Mar. 10. Henry Dexter Wotton, died in Winthrop, Mass. Aged 52 yrs., 7 mos., 3 dys. July 26. Susan Haskell, died in West Newbury, Mass. Sept. 30. Minnie J. Bradford, died in Dracut, Mass. Aged 62 yrs., 20 dys. Oct. 17. Sarah A. Ferguson, died in Danvers, Mass. Aged 86 yrs. Nov. 6. Abbie M. Fuller Porter, died in Lawrence, Mass. Aged 25 yrs. Nov. 14. William B. Tappan, died in Concord, N. H. Aged 79 yrs., 9 mos., 15 dys. Nov. 23. Catharine Perkins, died in Salem, Mass. Aged 86 yrs., 9 mos., 16 dys. 144 CHRONOLOGY OF EVENTS IN 1922 CHRONOLOGY OF LOCAL EVENTS IN 1922. 1922 May 29. July 13. July 15. Sept 21-23. World War Memorial on the Common defaced and surrounding" shrubbery destroyed. Reward of $100 offered. Severe thunder storm; lightning struck in several places. Horace Bradstreet barn set on fire. Largely attended town meeting at which the question of building a new school house at a cost of $65,000 was indefinitely post- poned. Boston and Newburyport Turnpike (Boston Street) opened to travel after extensive regrading and rebuilding by the State Highway Commission. The Stone bridge over the river en- cased in cement. Annual Cattle Show and Fair visited by over 25,000 persons. BUILDINGS CONSTRUCTED DURING THE YEAR 1922. Essex Agricultural Society, Turnpike, barn for draft horses, stable for race horses, dance hall, grandstand. Town Hall, Common, newly slated and painted, steel ceiling in hall. Horse sheds in rear of Congregational Church removed. Frank Bell, off East St., abandoned house destroyed by fire. Frank Roberts, Grove St., house remodelled, roof changed. Williams-Hodges house, Main St, remodelled. Leroy and Chester Andrews, Central St., addition to barn. Elmer P. Averill, Park Street, cottage. John S. Lawrence, Ipswich St., addition to residence. Ovide Bouchard, Central St., garage and carpenter’s shop. J. J. Crotty, off Washington St., garage. Fred Burnham, off Washington St., bungalow. Thomas E. Proctor, cor. Ipswich St. and Turnpike, barn burned. HMlHi itwipfi $W£SrmWm rv.fto::%ii'?-;--V.'v. -;V . ' iipslii a»iwpiii®p t SllSB8l® llfll WM&iM W^m mm ■pt ; dv‘&t: feffi’rSffi WHmti® W!^^I0S9I mm. ■ IlliMM^